Question:
someone please help!?
Nicole R
2009-04-23 14:25:50 UTC
I just got my blood donor card and it says my blood type is A+ and at the bottom it says CMV- what does this mean? Its driving me crazyyy!!! My mind is making me think all these scary things! Help please
Four answers:
CJewell
2009-04-23 14:35:58 UTC
CMV stands for" Cytomegalovirus " it is a common virus carried by more than half of the population. Most people who have the virus never know it and for the average healthy person, CMV does not cause a problem. However, for patients whose immune systems are not functioning properly(premature babies, cancer patients and others who cannot fight infection), CMV can be very serious. Testing for CMV is not required, but some donated units are tested for evidence of the virus when it is necessary to provide blood from donors who have not had CMV.
Peter M
2009-04-23 14:36:03 UTC
If you have access to a doctor or the person doing the blood work check with them. What I was able to determine was it MIGHT be a reference to the herpes virus. Before you panic about "herpes", that term/word covers or is applied to a multitude of things, not in any way associated with infectious herpes. Again, try to check it out with a medical type.
Patti H
2009-04-23 14:39:09 UTC
I don;t usually look up this stuff because it scares me too, but I did and it sayd that by the time you're 40, almost 85% have this virus and it usually doesn't cause any problems. The only time is if you have a compromised immune system (transplant, cancer or HIV) or if you're an infant. You are just fine!
2009-04-23 14:42:26 UTC
cytomegalovirus.

an estimated 50 to 80% have had it in the US. it can be transmitted to the embryo and could cause birth defects.