Question:
Daughter has a problem - please help.?
Juice
2009-01-26 12:54:31 UTC
My 10 year old daughter has been having this problem for about a year now, but is happening more frequently. Ex. yesterday she had a salad with baked chicken for lunch, and half of a cheeseburger and fries for dinner. At breakfast she was feeling sick and started throwing up. Her symptoms are n/v, diarrhea, stomach pain (not really cramping but hurting), and no fever. When she throws up it has what I would describe as a rancid smell. She is throwing up stuff from lunch yesterday which concerns me. She has a history of acid reflux but nothing like this. The doctor has run all kinds of blood tests and nothing is off. It is as if she eats but it never makes it to her stomach, like it just sits until she can't eat anymore and then she is sick the whole next day. We are going to the doctor in a few weeks but at this rate I am wondering if I should take her to the hospital. She is drinking water and can keep that down. The doctor recommended she take Pepcid AC on a regular basis but again this is not helping. I would greatly appreciate any ideas as to what this could be and what we should do. Thank so much.
Nine answers:
2009-01-26 13:06:12 UTC
get her in to see a pediatric gastroenterologist. I had similar symptoms at age 12 and went to see a pediatric GI. I went through many tests and was finally dxed with Crohn's. Then I was put on the proper meds to get things under control.

Are you sure it wasn't a blockage as the symptoms are nausea/vomiting, severe pain in gut, no bms, stomach is distended, and sometimes the big "D" if it is a partial obstruction.

I just went through the exact thing last night but I knew it was a partial obstruction so I am going to see my GI in 2 days to find out where the narrowing in my small bowel is.
jh
2009-01-26 13:10:06 UTC
Monitor her weight. If she's really not digesting stuff she should start to drop weight. Keep an eye on her urination too, if she can hold water you want to make sure it's not just building up in her body, but it's actually coming out the other end. Keep her really hydrated, diarrhea/ vomiting alone can lead to serious problems if she's not getting enough water.

And yes, I think it's time to seek at least a second opinion. If she's not loosing weight, then you probably don't need to take her to the ER unless she gets dehydrated or starts running a fever or starts feeling really sick.

I would probably switch her to an easy to digest diet as well, start researching that. Things like simple soups with clear broth & steamed veggies are going to be easier on her tummy than meat and cheese. Keep a food diary, what she eats, when, and when she vomits and approx. how much. She may have something simple as a severe food allergy, or it could be something more serious. I would cut out the common food allergies right away, like dairy and wheat, just to be safe. You can start introducing them back into her diet once you're sure that they're not the cause.

But like I said, ER if she starts to loose weight, or can't stop vomiting once her stomach is empty, or if she's retaining water, running a fever or can't keep down water.
2009-01-26 19:45:18 UTC
Woah, poor girl

Im no docter but I think everyone would say she needs to see a doctor.

But until then, try keeping her on an easy diet ( less meat). Feed her easily digestable foods that are mostly natural. Also, with what you have given , your daughter might be lactos intolerant (as she threw up the foods with dairy products in it) My cousin had a similar problem where she would throw up everything she ate and it ended up being that she was lactos inteolerant ( and she was 18). Try not including dairy products in her diet as this might be the case and dairy products tend to be heavy on the stomach. But also make sure she is receiving the vitamins she needs so that no other problems occur. Theres not much i can think of besides that. Just try your best to help your daughter out while shes certainly not feeling well. Hope this helps

Good luck and hope your daughter is feeling better soon :)
synisterkat
2009-01-26 13:04:48 UTC
I'm not a doctor either but I would be concerned about a child taking acid reducers on a regular basis. The stomach needs to produce acid to digest food. Regular use of these products produces hypo-acidity which can be worse than too much acid.
Dogbreath McWoofy
2009-01-26 13:01:20 UTC
Hospital time. If she's not digesting she's not getting nutrition, which is bad, the hospital could feed her intravenously if needed. Also, its time for a second opinion, and from a gastroenterologist instead of the family doctor. Could it be that her stomach is now not producing enough acid to digest the food, due to antacid medications? Anyway, I'm no doctor, but I'd get her over there for a (second) look.
2009-01-26 13:01:05 UTC
Take her to the ER. and have them run some tests.

This is not normal. And if she isn't digesting food, and throwing it up means shes not getting any source of food. She is starving. She needs to be hospitalized and fed. They will help her keep it down.

Plus, they may be able to find the root of the problem faster than a doctor, since it is ER and they need to do everything quick.

I hope that everything is ok.

Good luck.

God bless.
2016-09-29 13:31:47 UTC
the type one significant project you're able to do is shop an open and straightforward line of verbal substitute along with her, instruct her love and help, get her speaking and questioning, ask her why she thinks this is super for her to do such issues, and how she'd sense if she had a mum who did drugs and did no longer particularly care approximately her. clarify the implications of her strikes and ask her if that's what she particularly needs, enable her know that the direction she chooses is finally her determination and which you would be able to basically instruction manual her in the nicely suited direction. additionally attempt offering some love and help to the girl with the undesirable mum, she for sure is lacking something in her existence and he or she's reacting the only way a teenager knows how. there is alot greater to it, you are able to attempt speaking to a expert and attempt analyzing some parenting publications, i'm particular there are some online.
2009-01-26 13:00:43 UTC
Call the nurse hot-line, see what they say. But I would defiantly admit her to your family physician and if you cannot take it any longer take her to the ER
☼ImmaStar☼
2009-01-26 12:58:48 UTC
I think you need to call a dr ASAP.